Thursday, April 29, 2021

Block book

I usually use my machine by day and hand sew in the evenings. I lay my pieces out on a tray and put that tray on the armrest of my couch. At least once, every evening, I kick the tray off. 
I needed a block book and here’s how I did it:

I cut 2 pieces of fabric approx. 35x 70 cm, and cut one of those pieces in half, and seamed those on one side.

Put the pieces on top of each other, right sides together and stitched 3 sides: the seamed side is left open. Sewed a ribbon in the outer seames. Turned  and ironed:
 Measured height and width, and cut “pages” just a cm smaller
I cut 3 flannel pages and 2 cotton ones and stacked them alternately. In my experience, patchwork block pieces tend to migrate to the adjacent page when a block book is closed. The cotton pages will prevent this ánd I can pin something on that fabric. The middle pages are both flannel, for XL blocks.


Sewed the pages together in the middle and placed them on the outer part, the dotted red. Sewed all layers again in the middle
 And last I cut two pieces of cardboard and put those between the 2 outer layers.


Now the outer layer is sturdy and the cardboard can be removed if I want to wash my book or want to fold/roll 



Ready to roll!
As I was sewing this, more ideas came to mind: a pocket could be added to the out- or inside of the outer fabric to store a pattern e.g.
Other materials,  room for a cutting mat…
Maybe next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment