Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The couple, the wedding and the quilt

I know, I really neglected my blog, but I had other, more important, things to do!
Quilting DD got married last friday!!
She's my oldest and the first child getting married.
 
Little did i know how emotional such a day is
 especially when the groom tells his bride how much he loves her. Thanks for waterproof mascara!! Here we all are: me, DH, Biker son and Baking DD...hanky's nearby :)
(pictures by www.bruiloftsgasten.nl)
Quilting DD made lots of comments/jokes that I should make a double weddingring quilt, even before travelling to NY where SoninLaw proposed. I kept saying: no way.
When she was in NY she texted that she bought a batting. I thought it was for a quilt she was working on and told her the batting was too small. She replied: "oh no Mum, I already got a batting for that one, it will be 2.50x2.50 mtr. It has to be, otherwise it won't be big enough for our bed ".
When we layered her quilt a few weeks later, it turned out to be 2.00x2.00 and we kept teasing her with her "big"quilt....

Ofcourse I made her a quilt.... and ofcourse i had to make mine 2.50x2.50 mtr!!
Machine sewn and handquilted, all Kona cottons


I sewed and quilted every day, with an occasional break while waiting for fabric to arrive from the Fabric Shack.
Every day from 3 to 5 I quilted, and from 7 to 11 every evening.
I wore three iron ring thimbles out. I managed to put holes in them. When I bought new ones, the quiltshop owner asked if I perhaps was quilting night and day (jokingly)?? I could only tell her :uhh, yes..

 But I finished in time!
 It took some effort to fold it small enough for the wirebasket


 DD was very surprised and happy with my gift. She didn't expect a big quilt at all because "it's just not possible to do in just a few months"
It can, just keep calm and quilt like mad..
After I finished, I haven't touched a needle. Done with quilting.
I cleaned my sewingroom yesterday. Perhaps I'm ready to enter the quilter's world again in a few weeks.

for this "happily ever after quilt" I used the metro-ring pattern and ruler. I will show and review this in a later post!







5 comments:

  1. Gefeliciteerd! En jeeetje! Heb je nog wel vel op je vingers zitten met al dat quilten! De quilt is echt schitterend geworden. Knap gedaan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapeaux ! En wat een mooie frisse kleuren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful!! Congratulations to your daughter. The quilting is spectacular too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt and congrats to your daughter! I made two double wedding ring quilts last year (two oldest daughters married four months apart!) and I handquilted the first one, but I paid a long arm quilter to quilt the second one. There are just not enough hours in the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely quilt and lovely couple!!! best wishes to all of you!

    ReplyDelete