Monday, October 03, 2022

Tools of the trade

 I am a hand quilter. I tried doing it by machine, practised, got lessons online and in real life ( which was a very disappointing experience: to many people next to each other, hence no room for your bigger machine table and a teacher that did not know one answer to any question…) After that I stopped trying and sticked to hand quilting. Yes it is painstaking slooooow and it takes forever to finish a quilt, but that`s the way it goes.

Since I`m in the midst of quilting the second Granny Square quilt for granddaughter 2, I thought to share the tools I use.

Thread, obviously: Coats and Clark has been my number one choice from day one. A pair of scissors, a quiltring and 

This ruler. I had it for ages. It is a bigger version of the one everyone uses at school here in e.g. geometry.

Can`t do without! I use it to draw my templates, a patchwork pattern, quilting lines etc.


A somewhat better picture… A Sewline pencil. I have a black one, a white one and this with all of the above.. Used all kinds of chalk pencils, powder but once I saw these, I never turned back. The sorry part of what once was a genuine fabric eraser, erases the pencil lines if needed.

Roxanne needles nr 11 and thimbles. I use a modified sashiko  ring thimble and a `normal` one. Since my finger joints act up every once in a while, I can`t push a needle through the fabric with my fingertip, I push it through with the side of my finger. My hands look like this:


The finger`condom` is to easily grab the little point of the needle easily when there are 4 to 5 stitches on it. I buy a cheap box of latex gloves and cut the fingers of for my quilting needs :)
And last but not least: 

I once picked up a piece of wood in the shed, put my ring on it and drew a cirkel. I cut it out and there you have a wooden board that fits precisely in your ring. Why? When the quilt is in there I slide the board in and I have a sturdy flat surface to draw the quilting lines! 

Now I don`t know if all this makes sense to anyone, but it does to me LOL…


1 comment:

  1. Why are there no comments on here??? Your tips are brilliant Annemiek. I especially love the suggestion of the "finger condom." My fingers are sore from being poked by the needle as I struggle to push it through. I have several different thimbles but they're so awkward to use I fling them away and just suffer! I will soon be on a hunt for a sashiko thimble. Same with marking tools. I'll be seeking out a Sewline marking pencil though I don't believe I've ever seen them here - maybe online? I have pushed the "Follow" button so I hope this means I will now see it every time you post. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete